Order of Article Retraction
1. This document is based on “Procedure of Article Retraction” of the Association of Science Editors and Publishers (ASEP) and describes the order of eliminating infringements in scientific articles of the Publishers’ journals.
2. Text withdrawal from publication (retraction) is a mechanism of published scientific information correction and readers warning that the publication contains serious shortcomings, fallacious data, which can’t be trusted, about the cases of duplicate publications (when authors present one and the same data in several publications), plagiarism and conflict of interests concealment that could influence data interpretation or recommendations on their use.
3. Grounds for article retraction:
detection of plagiarism in publication;
article duplication in several editions;
disclosure of falsification or fabrication in the work (e.g. experimental data manipulation);
revealing serious mistakes in the publication (e.g. false interpretation of results) that casts doubt on its scientific importance;
incorrect authors composition (he who is worthy of being an author is absent; persons not meeting the criteria of authorship are included);
conflict of interests is concealed (and other violations of publication ethics);
article republication without the author’s consent.
4. The Publishers carry out retraction by official address of the author / group of authors of the article, who have justified the reason of their decision, and also by the decision of the journal editorial staff on the basis of their own examination or received information.
5. Editorial staff informs the author (the leading author in case of collective authorship) about the article retraction and substantiates its reasons without fail. If the author / group of authors ignore messages, editorial staff informs the Council on Publication Ethics of the ASEP about it.
6. The article and its description remain on the Internet site of the journal in the corresponding issue, but the inscription RETRACTED and retraction date are stamped on the text electronic version, the same mark is put by the article in the issue table of contents. Retraction reason is stated in the commentary on the article (in case of plagiarism detection – with borrowing sources indication). There is no mechanical removal of the article from the electronic version of the journal and its archive, the texts of retracted articles remain in their place with the corresponding mark.
7. Information about retracted articles is passed to the Council on Publication Ethics of the ASEP (for the information inclusion in the common database of retracted articles) and Scientific Electronic Library (elibrary.ru) (information about the article and its full text remain on elibrary.ru but are supplemented with information about retraction. Retracted articles and references in them are excluded from the Russian Index of Science Citation and don’t take part in indices calculation).
8. Open access fee for retracted articles is not reimbursed.